Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Curry Night

I need to go grocery shopping but it didn't happen. Last night I used what we had and it ended in a yummy chicken curry with fried rice.

In the past I have mainly used curry paste or a sauce of some kind. Last night I used my Trader Joe's curry powder and a can of coconut milk.


I didn't use a recipe but there are tons out there. I began by sauteing half of a diced onion in a pan with a little bit of olive oil.


I used chicken tenders that hadn't defrosted all of the way. It makes it so much easier to cut when it is still a bit frozen.



Throw chicken in with the onions. Salt and pepper your chicken! Then add curry powder and a little bit of red chili flakes. Cook until chicken is no longer pink. Oh and I also added some dried cilantro. Would have been awesome with fresh as well.


Then add the coconut milk. Yum.


Let it hangout over a low heat so all of the flavors blend.

While the curry was becoming awesome I started my fried rice. The number one thing that I have learned when it comes to fried rice is that the rice needs to be leftover. Fresh rice does not work. So make lots and keep some in the fridge for when you want to try a "take out" type of fried rice.

Begin by heating some oil, I used coconut. Add the other half of the onion. Then add some sesame oil, just a little bit. The sesame oil is what gives it that "take out" flavor.


You can throw an egg in there and fry it up too, but I forgot.

Add the rice.

 Then add some frozen peas...or whatever you want!


 The final product was really good. It needed a fresh herb but didn't have any this time.


 The dish went excellently with the beer my husband shared with me. He's so sweet.


The end. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Im a little jealous of your Trader Joes curry powder though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kendra. Get Danielle to mail you some! I love their spices, so cheap.

      Delete