Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Healthy Brownie Cookies

This afternoon I made a recipe from www.elizasedibles.com. It was her "Secretly Healthy Chocolate Brownies."

I had been looking at this recipe often and finally decided today was the day. :) 

The secret healthy ingredient is black beans! I would strongly suggest doing this entire recipe in a food processor. I do not have one, but I used my immersion blender with the food processor attachment. It didn't blend the beans all the way...but I also wonder if I just couldn't stop thinking about the fact that the cookies had beans in them. 

My husband was my guinea pig...he looks scared. 



He liked them. :) 


What I should have done was not tell them that the cookies were made with black beans. So when you try this recipe, let somebody try them without telling them what's in them. You'll get a more scientific answer...this is what my mom told me. :) 

Here is what I did:

Preheat oven to 375. Place a piece of parchment on a large cookie sheet. 

Ingredients:

  • 1 can no salt added black beans. Rinse them very well. 
  • 2 Tablespoons milk
  • 1.5 Tablespoons of peanut butter...I wish I could have added more.
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil 
  • 3 Tablespoons of whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon of sugar...okay, she added a note on this part saying you can use less sugar. I only used 1/3 cup...this made the cookie not very sweet. It might have needed a bit more sugar.
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips... I did not have dark, I used semi-sweet. 
Instructions:
Combine the beans, milk, peanut butter and olive oil in your food processor until smooth. 


This looks interesting..

Then add the rest of the ingredients. Combine until mousse like...this is why you should use a food processor. I used a wooden spoon...my hand got tired and it wasn't very mousse like. 

Stir in the chocolate chips. 



Spoon even drops on the cookie sheet. If you want, add a few extra chocolate chips on top. 

Bake for 10 minutes...I did about 12 minutes. 

Cool on a cookie rack. 

Important note:
These cookies MUST be stored in the refrigerator because of the black beans. I put mine in the freezer. 


I hope that you try this cookie! I liked them. I liked the fudgey brownie texture.

Let me know how they turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment