Thursday, June 20, 2013

Healthy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies



Tonight I thought I'd experiment with a sugar free oatmeal raisin cookie. :)
I got the recipe from www.sugarfreemom.com  I changed a few things. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Soak 1/2 cup of raisin in water. There wasn't a measurement given for water, so I just made sure they were all covered. 



Then in a large bowl I added the dry ingredients. Whisk them all together, removing any lumps. I did not have any powdered stevia, so I used 1/2 cup of honey like she suggested. But I added the honey later to the wet ingredients. 


Then in a small bowl I beat one egg, added melted butter and melted coconut oil, the vanilla and honey.  The last wet ingredient you are suppose to add is 2 TBS raisin water...This part I found weird.  I'm not sure why that is needed. My batter was complete soup..as you will see in a second. 
*Discard the remaining water from the raisin. 




Then add the wet to the dry ingredients and combine. Add the raisins. I chose not to use chocolate chips because even my semi sweet ones have sugar.  However, I imagine that they would be really good with the chocolate. 

Here is my batter...

At this point I decided I would add more whole wheat flour until it started to look more like cookie dough. So I started adding in tablespoons of the flour. I think I got up to between 5-7 heaping tablespoons. Sorry for not counting. It finally looked like dough, but it was still pretty wet. I may add more next time...and not add the raisin water. 



By this time I was pretty sure these were going to be the grossest cookies I had ever made but they actually turned out pretty yummy. 

Bake for 15 minutes. 





First bite I wasn't sure, but my the second and third I was pleased. I would enjoy another one with a good cup of coffee. This is a good recipe to try if you're needing to cut down on sugar.. 
Hope that you are able to try this recipe. Let me know how they turn out! The link for the actual recipe is at the beginning of the post. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment